Summer is here and we know your kids are eager to hit the water. But before all the fun in the sun, here are 8 important tips to help you and your family have a safe swimming season.
- Always assign someone to watch the kids. Keep children within arms reach and never leave unattended.
- Invest in some kind of pool alarm. There are a number of options but remember these are just alarms. Parental guidance is primary.
- Don’t overfill the pool. Keep inflatables or other toys to a minimum. You want to be able to view everyone easily and avoid creating visual blind spots.
- Invest in swimming lessons with an accredited provider to ensure your children are taught about pool safety from an early age and become confident swimmers.
- Keep your pool water clean and clear. Make it a routine to check on chemical levels and circulation. This will minimize the risk of earaches or rashes as well as make it easier to maintain a clean pool.
- Establish and strictly enforce rules and safe behaviors, such as “no diving,” “stay away from drains,” “swim with a buddy” and “walk please.”
- Learn to perform CPR on children and adults and update those skills regularly.
- Always make sure to have a stocked first aid kit on hand where everyone can easily access.